The Grammy’s are just hours away and the stars are scampering about Los Angeles, preparing with last minute spray tans, facials, body scrubs, and the like. And, once they hit that red carpet, you can bet they won’t just be carrying breath mints and their phones. They will be armed with little secret beauty essentials tucked in their evening bags.
Although most of us will probably be watching the Grammy’s from our couches wearing our best sweatpants, there will be a time when a red carpet beauty regimen will come in handy. So, here are our tips you can use to prepare for your next big event.
1. Tighten & Brighten: No need to spend thousands of dollars nipping and tucking away at the lines on your face. Be ready for the lights with a facial to drain puffiness, tone muscle, and tighten the skin. We recommend a facial with brightening effects to restore the skins glow.
2. Gorgeous Locks: Get a haircut two weeks in advance and condition really well the night before. We recommend sleeping in hair masks and always use them once a week. When the big night comes, your locks will be dazzling.
3. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate: If you think you are drinking enough water, think again! Add two liters of water per day, in addition to what you are already drinking during work outs. This helps process all the salt in your diet, and boosts metabolism.
4. Get your beauty rest: Make sure you get enough sleep before the big event. Six to eight hours, to be exact. Not only will sleep keep you awake and alert to enjoy your big night, but your skin will look more alert as well.
5. The Hollywood Smile: It seems celebrities always walk the red carpet with megawatt grins. But if you’re a fan of coffee and red wine, you might need help getting an A-list smile. Invest in a teeth-whitening treatment, or toothpaste to life stains from the teeth for a beaming smile.
6. Nail It: Nothing ruins a red carpet look quicker than a chipped nails, so take the hassle out of your manicure by opting for a gel manicure. It takes longer than a traditional manicure as each layer (base coat, two applications and a top coat) has to be cured under UV light but the end result is chip-free wear for 14 days.
7. Golden Girl: A golden glow will always help you look healthy but you don’t want to overdo it. When getting a spray tan ahead of a big event, always ask for a light spray, say you want it to look natural and never ever have it on the eve (or worse, day!). It’s always best to have it two days before.
- Exfoliate skin the evening before you’re booked in for a tan
- Don’t shave or wax on the day of tanning, it’s best to do that the day before
- Always ensure your spray tanner moisturisers dry areas of your body such as elbows, knees and ankles
- Wear dark, loose baggy clothing
- After you’ve washed the tan off (anywhere between 2-8 hours depending on the tan), gently pat yourself dry and moisturise
- Continue to moisturise regularly