What are essential oils?
Essential oils come from plants. They are powerful; actually 50 to 70 times more powerful than herbs. One drop of peppermint essential oil (which is a very uplifting) is equal to 28 cups of peppermint tea! They work quickly and take effect in the body within 30 seconds. Essential oils are 100% natural, contain no artificial ingredients, no chemicals, and most importantly have no side effects.
How can you use essential oils?
There are three ways you can use essential oils: aromatically, topically and internally.
1. Aromatically: Breathing in essential oils is a great way to get the oils into your body. One way is to use a diffuser by putting oil and water and diffusing it into the air. The other way is by simply opening the bottle and smelling it. You want to use essential oils aromatically if you want to effect your mood, so anxiety and depression are great ailments to address by breathing essential oils aromatically. Aroma is the greatest influence on mood. When you breathe an essential oil, you take in the scent through the olfactory system (nerves behind your nose) and the aromatic compounds go into the limbic system of the brain. This system controls your emotions. Essential oils can elevate or calm you, ease stress or anxiety, decrease insomnia and improve mental clarity and focus. It is clinically proven that diffusing citrus essential oils is more effective than taking an antidepressant.
2. Topically: You can apply essential oils topically during massage or to any area that needs immediate treatment. For example, if you feel a migraine coming on, using a peppermint essential oil on your temples and back of the neck will alleviate it immediately. Peppermint on our stomach can immediately stop a stomach ache. A great delivery system is the bottom of your feet (larger pores) and your spine (like an IV to your nervous system and the rest of your body).
3. Internally: Internal use of essential oils is new for a lot of people. You can take essential oils internally by simply opening the bottle and pouring a few drops into the back of your throat. You can also use empty capsules, or put a drop or two in a glass of water or juice. One important thing to remember when taking essential oils internally, is to make sure the oils you are using are 100% pure! There are huge differences between the quality of essential oils. Spa Gregorie’s uses doTERRA essential oils which are 100% Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade.
How can essential oils be used in your Spa Gregorie’s experience?
1. Consider an Aromatherapy Add-on: simply upgrade any massage, where the therapist will incorporate the essential oil into the treatment. Some oils that will be available to choose from are:
- Lavender: One of the most popular oils that is great when you’re stressed or overwhelmed. It’s calming and sedative to help with sleeping and insomnia.
- Citrus oils: Great for a “grey or rainy” day, when you feel like you could use a little mood pick me up. It is motivating, invigorating and stimulating.
- Balance: This is a grounding blend. All of the oils in this blend come from trees such as spruce, blue tansy and rosewood. It is great for when your mind is racing or you have anxiety.
- Deep Blue: A blend of wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, blue chamomile, helichrysum and osmathus. Best when applied directly to tired, achy joints to ease arthritis and carpal tunnel pain.
2. Book an AromaTouch Treatment: a powerful treatment that addresses stress reduction, strengthens your immune system, reduces inflammation and brings your body back to homeostasis. It includes the use of 8 different essential oils: Balance, Lavender, Melalueca, On Guard, AromaTouch, Deep Blue, Peppermint, and Wild Orange. Because this treatment is so powerful and stimulating, it is not recommended to book a massage or hydrotherapy treatment on the same day. This treatment is not a massage, but rather an essential oil treatment similar to raindrop therapy.